Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Legality

I had never fired anything other than commercially loaded smoke, flare, and CS out of my launcher before so I knew I had some research ahead of me. I had previously reloaded rifle and pistol rounds so I was comfortable with the idea. I had looked into reloading 37mm before and I remembered the ATF rulings and guidelines about what is and isn't a Destructive Device, I also vividly remembered the (blown off) hand of a guy who tried to load his own (likely illegal) binary firework mixture and had suffered the consequences.

The primary concerns during the design are safety and civilian legality without it being considered a destructive device.

The status of 37mm launcher is determined by several laws
* NFA 1934
* PC 120301(a)(4)

The quick and dirty summary is that 37mm launchers are given an exception from being a DD as long as they are used as a life safety or signaling device, aren't intended to be used or used for offensive purpose, and contain less than 1/4 ounce (7grams) of explosive. The 1/4 ounce including the lift charge/propellant as well as the signaling charge whether thats a flare or aerial report.

Once my constraints were laid out and understood the design began in earnest.

No comments:

Post a Comment